When looking at installing a wood fence, here are some tips to consider:
- Make sure to get pressure-treated wooden posts; because they go into the ground, they are more susceptible to insects and moisture.
- Within the first year of installation, apply a wood preservative to seal your new fence. A sealant is like wax on a car; it protects the fence from the elements.
- Homeowners also should prevent sprinklers from wetting the fence, which can cause the wood to deteriorate faster. Many sprinklers can be calibrated to adapt to their surrounds and increase efficiency. An alternative is to use drip irrigation to minimize overspray.
- Bushes, vines and other vegetation should be kept off the fence. The less weight and moisture-attracting plants on the fence, the better.
- Don’t use cleaning products on your fence. Just use a hose and plain water to clean.